Below is a photograph of the bronze plaque on № 1 Broadway. Next to the photograph is a transcription of what's written on it.
Adjoining this site was the first Dutch fort on Manhattan Island, known as Fort New Amsterdam. The first house was erected here before 1664. In 1771 Captain Archibald Kennedy built here his residence which was used in 1776 by General Washington as his headquarters and later by General Howe during the British occupation. It was later used as a hotel. Torn down in 1882, it was replaced by the Washington Building which was transformed in 1920-21 into this building for occupancy by its owners the International Mercantile Marine company and known as No. 1 Broadway.
Back to the Back of the Book page for the November 12, 2011, program.